Your toothbrush will eventually wear out, especially if you are brushing your teeth twice per day for two to three minutes each time.
- Dentists recommend that adults and children replace their toothbrush every three months.
- If you are using an electric toothbrush, be sure to read the directions as you may not need to change toothbrush heads as frequently.
- Patients with gum disease are encouraged to change their toothbrush every four to six weeks to keep any bacteria from spreading.
- After brushing, rinse your toothbrush with hot water to kill germs and keep the bristles clean.
- If you have been sick, be sure to change your toothbrush as soon as possible.